Xlab Research Grant Application
Xlab Grants make financial support available to UC Berkeley graduate students engaged in dissertation research and to UC Berkeley post-doc and junior faculty who are interested in conducting experiments as part of their research program.
Decisions are made by the Director of Xlab. Funding decisions may favor first-time applicants and seek to encourage good research practices, including pre-registration, posting data, and posting research materials. The grant should be used within 6 months.
Grants are made possible by the support of the Dean of the Haas School of Business.
- Must be UC Berkeley investigator (graduate students, post-doc, or junior faculty)
- Must have an idea promising enough to justify the proposed budget
- Complete the Xlab Grant Application Form, a 5 page report (see Phase 1 instructions below), and a letter from your Faculty Advisor.
- Send to Don Moore. E-mail: email@example.com
- Xlab grants the award.
- You spend the money.
- Send Don Moore the results (e.g. working/published papers).
Application Instructions for Grant:
- Complete the Xlab Grant Application Form
- Write a brief report (no more than 5 pages total) covering the:
- Purpose and background of the study
- Related literature
- Experimental design and procedures
- Research question(s)
- Proposed analysis
- Plans for pre-registration and for public posting of research materials and data
- Graduate students only:
include a letter of support (Please address to the Xlab Faculty Director) from your Faculty Advisor --1 page or less, indicating whether he/she supports your request as essential and whether he/she feels you have adequately explored other possible funding sources.
- Send complete application package to: Don Moore, firstname.lastname@example.org